Sunday, October 7, 2007

Gross Rolling Stone Cover


So I know Rolling Stone magazine is not known as a haven for promoting feminist artists, or even women artists for that matter, but this month their cover is just too much. Kid Rock, the faux rapper or rocker, or whatever he is, graces the cover with barely clad women hanging in awe around him.


This pisses me off on many levels, but especially because as a music fan I do like to read Rolling Stone (I know, I know, not the best source of music news but I do like some of their music political articles). However, when I see a cover like that on the stand, it screams to me, rock music is for men, women need not apply unless they are interested in being eye or arm candy. I know there are a few magazines dedicated to women in rock, but none of them are mainstream or available at my local market or Target. Hopefully things will be different for my daughters when they're my age. I don't want them to grow up thinking that rock music is for men.

No comments: